Saturday, June 2, 2012

History


Emilie is new,
so she doesn’t know why
I once ended up
           
twisting my ankle after
eating Kung Pao chicken with my fingers
drinking four Keystones and smoking
from that kid Logan’s pipe while
trespassing on Lake Travis at midnight.

And she doesn’t know
why Jonathan and I don’t want to
talk about Jurassic Park.

Or why we’re always talking
about Jim, even though we
never say his name.

Or why I’m still upset
about all the times he and Jonathan
or he and Kelsey slept in my bed
when I went home for the weekend freshman year.

Or why I still squirm
at the mention of tequila shots and Teresa Hall.

Or why I always
let someone else ride shotgun in Kelsey’s car.

And even when I’m
sitting with Emilie in the backseat
at 4:30 in the morning,

trying to explain how much happier I am now
than I was a year ago,
she’ll never really know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment